Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Chapter 1

I write a lot of things. I like to write my thoughts down when I am really thinking about something. I also do the usual every day things like texting, e-mailing, and instant messaging. I really enjoy writing and I actually tend to blog a lot. I love writing down my thoughts cause many times it brings me to really think about what I'm writing about and sometimes it brings me to new ideas and thoughts. I write these blogs sometimes for other people to read and sometimes just for me to get my thoughts out.

In Judy Brady's "Why I Want A Wife" she talks about how she wants to have more freedom and doesn't like the fact that being a wife is holding her back, but she writes it in a different and very unique way. She writes it as if she were a husband that wanted a wife to take care of the family. Her use of sarcasm really shows how much men expect of women. They expect women to take care of the family so they can go out and learn and get the best jobs. Reading this really made me realize how much I would never want to be put into a position like that. I want to do something with my life not just sit there and take care of my family. I want to be able to help support them.

Important Words:
Rhetoric: the purposeful use of language and images. 
Rhetor: user of rhetoric.
Rhetorical Situation: the context a rhetor enters in order to shape an effective message that can resolve an exigence and reach an intended audience. Creates a call for change.
Rhetorical Exigence: a problem that can be resolved or changed by discourse (or language).
Rhetorical Audience: consists of only those persons who are capable of being influenced by verbal or visual discourse and of bringing about change, either by acting themselves or by influencing others who can create change.
Rhetorical Purpose: when writing with purpose you move beyond goals to one of of influencing your rhetorical audience.